Up to GBP 15 million are available for projects that stimulate and broaden innovation in manufacturing and materials through addressing technical or commercial challenges. The competition targets projects with eligible costs between GBP 50,000 and GBP 2 million, with a funding intensity of up to 70%.
This programme is being managed by Innovate UK, and eligible beneficiaries may be companies of any size that are based and operating within the UK. At least one SME must be involved in the project.
Although the programme targets projects with eligible costs between GBP 50,000 and GBP 2 million, projects with costs outside this range may still be considered, and must contact Innovate UK ten days before registration deadline in order to discuss the project. The funding intensity will also depend on the size of the business and the type of the project.
A project must cover one of the following areas:
- innovation in a manufacturing system, technology, process or business model. For example, in process engineering, industrial biotechnology, mechanical conversion processes, coatings, textiles, supply chain management, new product introduction processes or remanufacture;
- innovation in materials development, properties, integration or reuse. For example, for light-weighting, energy generation and storage (such as heat and electricity), electronics/sensors or for operation in demanding environments. For the purposes of this competition, materials include, but are not limited to, nano-materials, ceramics, metals and inter-metallics, polymers, composites, coatings, smart materials and joining of dissimilar materials.
Further details about project eligibility, as well as the applicable funding conditions, can be found in the presentation here.
The competition timeline is as follows, with results being released in October 2016:
- Competition opens: 9 May 2016
- Competition briefing event: 23 May 2016
- Final date for registration: Noon 6 July 2016
- Submission of the full application (including Finance Forms, Appendices and Je-S Forms): Noon 13 July 2016
- Decision to applicants: by 31 October 2016