Up to GBP 16 million are available for China-UK collaborative research and innovation projects that address the socio-economic challenges in China regarding health, energy, agri-food and urbanisation. UK businesses can obtain grants of up to GBP 700.000, whilst Chinese partners are eligible for a max. grant of GBP 517.063.
Innovate UK, Research Council UK & Ministry of Science and Technology in China (MoST) are jointly managing this programme.
A wide range of entities are eligible in both UK and China:
- Eligible UK applicants are:
- UK companies of any size, registered, based and operating in the UK.
- Academic institutions, other research organisations, public sector bodies (that might include city governments for example) and charities/non-profit organisations undertaking research activity in the UK are also eligible to participate as per Innovate UK’s funding rules: https://interact.innovateuk.org/guidance-for-applicants
- Eligible China applicants are:
- Micro, Small, Medium and Large companies that operate and are headquartered in China
- Research centres (ROs)
- Academic organisations (AOs)
An eligible project consortium must include at least:
- A Chinese business partner
- A Chinese research organization
- A UK business partner
- A UK research organization
Projects must be focused on industrial research, but can also include Experimental Development activities. Further details about project eligibility on the four programme topics (health, energy, agri-food and urbanisation), as well as the applicable funding conditions, can be found in the presentation here.
The competition timeline involves a two-stage application process, with results being released in October 2016:
- Competition opens: 16th November 2015
- Registration deadline for UK applicants: Noon 23 March 2016
- Expressions of Interest (EOI) deadline: Noon 30 March 2016
- Stage 2 opens for invited applicants: 13 June 2016
- Deadline for invited applicants: Noon 24 August 2016
- Release date of Competition results: 21 October 2016