Technology Readiness Levels TRL
Technology Readiness Levels (TRL) provided by the European Commission:
- TRL 0 - Idea. Unproven concept, no testing has been performed.
- TRL 1 - Basic research. Principles postulated and observed but no experimental proof available.
- TRL 2 - Technology formulation. Concept and application have been formulated.
- TRL 3 - Applied research. First laboratory test completed; proof of concept.
- TRL 4 - Small scale prototype built in a laboratory environment ("ugly" prototype).
- TRL 5 - Large scale prototype tested in intended environment.
- TRL 6 - Prototype system tested in intended environment close to expected performance.
- TRL 7 - Demonstration system operating in operational environment at pre-commercial scale.
- TRL 8 - First of a kind commercial system. Manufacturing issues solved.
- TRL 9 - Full commercial application, technology available for consumers.