Up to GBP 1.5 million are available through the Newton Fund to UK businesses developing innovative solutions to challenges within the agri-food sector in Turkey. The competition targets UK projects with eligible costs between GBP 300,000 and GBP 400,000, with a funding intensity of up to 70%.
Innovate UK and TÜBİTAK (the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) are jointly managing this programme.
In order to benefit from the competition, the lead applicant must be a UK-based company, and the project have at least one UK-based company and one Turkish company working together. R&D organisations may also participate in the project.
The collaborative project must address one or more of the following challenges:
- Challenge 1 – using waste by-products and residues from the Turkish agri-food industry to reduce their negative environmental impact and add value
- Challenge 2 – improving agricultural productivity of small and medium sized-farmers through upgrading agricultural technology
- Challenge 3 – improving animal and plant breeding within Turkey
Projects must last up to two years and Turkey must be the principal market for the project. Furthermore, projects should be at the industrial research stage of research and development.
Further details about project eligibility regarding the three challenges, as well as the applicable funding conditions, can be found in the presentation here.
The competition timeline is as follows, with results being released in February 2017:
- Competition opens: 9 May 2016
- Briefing webinar: 17 May 2016
- Registration deadline: Noon 14 September 2016
- Application deadline: Noon 22 September 2016
- Winners announced: 27 February 2017